Wednesday 13 June 2012

I'm here!

After about 10 or so hours of flying, I've made it to London!!
Right out of the airport I got to have my first experience with the London Underground. The line we were on had some parts that were above ground and we got to look around. It was a cool first thing to do on our way to our housing. I'm staying in student housing called 'Nido.' It is a really nice building and it seems as if the majority of the residents are American (from judging their accents anyway). There are really cool common areas/lounges and cafe. The rooms are a lot like dorms, fairly small, two beds but luckily we do have our own bathroom and shower. With the room being small I spend most of my time in the lounge.
My group from my program 'Absolute Internship' consists of 5 interns and our adviser. I'm the only one out of us from America. There's Dagney, our adviser who was originally from America but has spent more time over seas. Robyn is my roommate and she is from Newfoundland but living in Vancouver. She is interning in fashion. The other 3 are all interning together in a finance/research company. There is Stephen from Sweden, Angie from Spain, and Alex from Singapore but lives between Hong Kong and New York. Everyone is really nice, I think I got lucky with this good group.
I am also interning at an Advertising agency here called Cloth Court Communications. The company is quite small, it is run by 5 women. They are all really nice and helpful in teaching me their ways.
Other than work so far I've done little things like see local pubs and eat fish & chips. On Sunday we also did a walking tour of London and got to see some cool things like the Buckingham Palace and learn a lot of history of certain areas. I was able to take a few pictures before my camera died but I'm getting the rest from Dagney's camera. I just recently got the means to charge my computer so I hope to upload all of my pictures sometime tonight.

I haven't been here long but I love it so far. I love walking around and being able to get to anything by public transportation. (Although I'd give anything for a Target!) There is so many amazing food options. We went to a Moroccan restaurant last night and what I thought was really cool about it was that before your meal they give you a bowl full of whole fresh vegetables, and after your meal you get a bowl of whole fresh fruits.

I feel like with every post I should list things that I've noticed are weird or different here.
so here is what I have so far:
Nobody waiting for the walk/dont walk sign when crossing the street. You look and if no cars are coming you just go. It can be pretty funny when there is quite a few people and the walk sign is still red but a ton of people cross and one or two people stay back and have really confused looks on their faces and look up to see if the light turned green because they don't understand why everyone is walking.
Everyone seems to be in a hurry, at all times. They nearly run to where they are going and you better not be in their way.
When some people, like our tour guide for example, are talking fast and in their accents they will throw in certain saying that they have and I can't understand them at all.
Even if you are using a converter.. do NOT use your hair dryer or straightener here, they will just die..
I think that it is really cool how everyone over here has been able to travel so much. Flights and things are so much cheaper for them so they are able to go on a lot more vacations, or 'hollidays' as they call them. A lady at my work said that it only cost here £400 round trip to fly to the states. Yet it cost me $1,300 to fly here.
I also like that the all food is actually proportioned for one human being. No extremely ridiculously over sized portions like in America.
It seems that the majority of people here eat based off of what is good for you, not what tastes good. A lot of them said they don't even buy sugar.

I think that is all I have for now.
I'm going to Stonehenge this weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I need to eat like the English!!!:-)

    ReplyDelete