Wednesday 4 July 2012

Food & Drinks- Happy 4th of July!

If you order local beer here they are all served room temperature. Most times that I go to a pub I ask about local beers and they are just never cold, and they aren't supposed to be. That's just so strange to me. The beers are usually good but would taste so much better if they were ice cold.



Speaking of beer. I love how drinking is regarded here. In the states it's so frowned upon. Like at home if you see someone wasted, it's something to shake your head at, and you don't normally talk about how you went out drinking. Here, it's just something they do, and they aren't ashamed of it. They can talk about being hung over at work and it isn't frowned upon. It's strange to me still but I love when I get off work and start walking home, I pass 3 or 4 pubs. The streets outside the pubs are always lined with people in suits with briefcases, drinking a beer. I was talking about it with someone and we were saying that in the states, if you saw a guy in a suit at a bar, you would assume he either just got fired, got dumped, or something of that nature. Talking to some of the other people in my group they say that where they are drinking is treated similarly as it is here in London.
Anyway, I think that it's neat that you can go out and have a good time and not be ashamed of it.

I also noticed here that they don't really do turkey sandwiches. I always go into sandwich shops and just want a turkey sandwich! But I can't find any. They do lots of different chicken sandwiches. In the grocery stores I can't find any packs of pre-cut turkey either, just ham or chicken.
And I wish I could find some pre-cut bagels. haha. Not that it's hard to cut my own bagel.. but come on.

I didn't end up going to the American Independence celebration Sunday. I wasn't up to getting all dressed and going there alone. I can get going there if you have moved here and you are trying to meet fellow Americans, but I will be back in a month. I'm not particularly feeling homesick and wanting to meet other Americans. I did laundry instead, exciting right? We did go to a pub that night though to watch the Euro final. I was routing for Italy.. the score was 4-0 Spain.. ha, kind of embarrassing.

In other news, I think I need to find walking routes to and from places. I'm already feeling the busyness from the Olympics. As excited as I am to be here during the Olympics, the increasing numbers of tourists is slightly annoying. Yes, I may be a tourist too, but at this point, I know how things work and I know my way around. There has been so many times lately when I will be walking to the grocery store or to or from work and there will big group of people walking in front of me and they just stop.. in the middle of the sidewalk, because they are either lost, or don't know where to go. Just standing there blocking the whole way, looking around.
At the tube stations they have been passing around these flyers that highlight the times and areas they expect to be overly crowded once the Olympics start. They have advised to stay away from the tube from 7am-2pm and from 4pm-10pm... so basically all day.
I need to get some exploring in before everything gets crazy or it will be a real hassle to get around..

Anyway- Happy 4th of July everyone!
They (of course) don't celebrate it here. So I work all day :( Have a drink and do some fireworks for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment