Saturday 14 July 2012

More touristy things

Last weekend me and Angie went to "Tate Modern Art Museum." It's a free museum but it also has some temporary exhibits that are done by artists. You have to pay to see those though. So we stuck to the free parts.

Some of the art was pretty cool. But for the most part I don't 'get' modern art. It's like most of it is only there and framed because someone famous did it. I looked at some of the stuff and thought "I'm pretty sure I did something very similar in middle school art class." Some examples:



yes. That is a sliced, plain canvas. framed..

There were so many of them like that and I just know that many of them have numerous essays delving into the 'meaning' of the painting...
I did like some of them though.

After the museum we walked to The Tower Bridge. Along the way we saw some really cool stuff.
Like this church:


And the Globe Theatre:

It was a really pretty walk along the river and seeing the bridge getting closer and closer. They have just recently put these huge Olympic rings on the bridge. They looked pretty cool.


Pretty massive. Once we got to the bridge we decided to walk across. Which was also really neat. There is so much detail on the towers. It was really cool to see up close. And because they are getting ready for the Olympics, everything was freshly repainted and cleaned. 
Some views of walking across the bridge. 




Fast forward to today. 

Today, Angie and I went to Madame Tussauds and then Dagney met us and we went to The London Eye. 
Madame Tussauds was really neat. They had so many wax people! It took us about an hour and a half to walk through and take pictures as we saw fit. Some of the sculptures realllly creeped me out because they looked so real! Often times there would be one in the middle of the room and I wouldn't even realize that it wasn't a real person for the longest time. Some were not so great, but man, some were just spot on, and it was just creepy.. I think these were the most well done:





Once we made our way through there we headed off to The London Eye. It was really pretty and a great way to see London. It's huge! (443 feet tall) It was pretty awesome. You get in these giant capsules and the wheel rotates quite slowly so that you have time to take lots and lots of pictures. I think that it is pretty neat to have done the Eye later in our stay because we have seen a lot of the other tourist attractions up close. So it was cool to look out and know what everything was and to remember being there are seeing it. 




Unfortunately, my camera died right after taking this picture. Luckily, Dagney has a much nicer camera and didn't feel like taking pictures so she let me use hers.






Looking back at all these pictures it shows you what the weather has been like... man! Everyone is saying how this is strange. That July is their 'most dry month' and how this weather is so strange for July.. Its been so dark and cloudy and rainy out. It hardly ever pours like you would think of rain in Florida. But its just like, misting, mostly. Obviously it does rain harder occasionally, but the mist is pretty consistent. Today it made me realize that a pair of my shoes has holes in the heels.. wet cold socks all day aren't fun. (Excuse to buy new shoes? I think yes!) It wouldn't be so bad if the rain wasn't always accompanied by cold strong wind.. 
Ah well. I'm still having a blast!




No comments:

Post a Comment